By Peter J. Braglia, D.C.
Your body’s lack of ability to properly adapt to the changing environment (in this case the change of seasons) is what we label as a seasonal allergy. After all, everyone breathes the same pollen, yet everyone does not have seasonal allergies. The difference is not the pollen, the difference is how our bodies react to the pollen. An allergic response happens when the body’s immune system overreacts to allergens such as dust, pollen, pet dander, etc. The body then overproduces neutralizing chemicals such as histamines to correct the problem.
Somewhere along the line, our society started believing that seasonal allergies were normal, and that they are something that an individual is going to have to live with for the rest of his or her life, suffering each year through itchy eyes and runny nose. Seasonal allergies are far from normal, and the fact that they are so common means that many do not have an optimally functioning body.
With that being said, here are 7 steps for beating allergies this and every spring without relying on medications:
1. Avoid histamine containing foods – These are foods that have been aged and fermented – cheeses, pickles, sausage, and yes, unfortunately beer and alcohol too.
2. Eat more anti-inflammatory foods – This should be done year round (not just allergy season) – think fresh produce, fish and nuts – and less sugar, grains, and processed foods.
3. More Water! – Research shows that staying well hydrated helps relieve allergy symptoms.
4. Drink Green Tea – The antioxidants in green tea block histamine production and reduce inflammation.
5. Supplements – Many supplements promise allergy relief, but I recommend Vitamin C and Quercetin as they are potent natural antihistamines.
6. Try Chiropractic and/or Acupuncture – A proper functioning nervous system – which directly influences the immune system – is essential to conquering allergies.
7. A Simple Saline Rinse – Using warm water and salt you can create your own saline solution to stream through your nose. This can help flush pollen and other allergens out before they have a chance to wreak havoc on your body.
You may be thinking, how can chiropractic care help allergies? Well, first of all – chiropractic care does not treat allergies. However, chiropractic care aims to have your nervous system functioning at an optimal level by removing irritation and misalignments of the spine- so that the body will not overreact to foreign substances (like pollen). Traditional allergy treatments only deal with the symptom without addressing the cause. Anyone who has taken allergy medication knows that it will work for a period of time and then its effect will gradually begin to decrease.
By following these simple steps you can beat seasonal allergies naturally and, in the process, restore health and function to your body. From personal experience – my own allergies in the spring time were nearly debilitating, and I went the standard pharmaceutical route with prescription antihistamines, eye-drops, you name it… nothing helped. And then, I started at Chiropractic School, learned these nutritional tips and began getting adjusted on a regular basis, and I haven’t touched an antihistamine since.
Peter J. Braglia, D.C. has a mission to educate, adjust, and inspire a health transformation in as many families as possible toward optimal health. As a member of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association, he has received advanced training in Pediatric Adjusting and Prenatal Care. What Dr. Braglia loves most about natural Chiropractic care is that it helps to find the root cause of imbalance in the body and mind, instead of simply masking the symptoms.